Well, That Didn’t Last Long

No Jogging Sign

I took this picture of a plaque on a ship back in… 2007, I think? Who knew I’d be able to use it in a blog post one day.

If we’re friends on Facebook or you follow me on Twitter, you may already know this, but last weekend pretty much put an end to my goal of working out 15x this month (yes, two days into the month). After hiking the Chief in Squamish on Saturday and doing 14K through the trails of Fort Langley on Sunday, I somehow ended up with a stress fracture in my right foot…

But let’s backtrack. To start this post, I have to say that last weekend I was more active and had more fun than I have been in a long time. One of my promises to myself, in deciding to move to the Lower Mainland, was that I would take full advantage of all that it had to offer – beaches, mountains, running routes, hikes, etc. I’ve been researching trails and making a list of everything I want to do and see this summer. And with last weekend being the only weekend I’m in Greater Vancouver for all of June, I decided to take the opportunity to cross a couple things off.

On Saturday morning, I picked up a friend who also recently moved here (and only a few blocks away from me!) and we drove for an hour out to Squamish. A few days before, we had decided to cancel our Saturday lunch plans and instead hike the Stawamus Chief. I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t really look into what the hike entailed; I’d simply heard about it before and, after seeing this picture on my friend Ashly’s blog, knew I wanted to see the same views firsthand. So, up we went.


These waterfalls are, surprisingly, at the bottom of the hike.


The majority of the hike was a mix of steep steps made out of either rock or wood.


Oh, and ladders. There are a couple ladders and some chains, right towards the top.


And then there’s the view – worth every second of our 3.5-hour hike.

On Sunday, I woke up a little sore and stiff, but I was excited to see one of my girlfriends and explore the trails of Fort Langley together. When we first started going, I felt fine. Again, I was obviously stiff from the day before, but nothing hurt. Then we went up the slightest, teeniest, tiniest hill and I could feel some pain in my right foot. About 10K into our 14K route, I knew something was wrong. Not seriously wrong, but I was beginning to slow down and even my walking pace started to feel shameful.

By the time I got home that afternoon, I was limping. I immediately put together a bag full of ice for my foot and put my leg up for a few hours. I had to ice it off and on all evening, to both ease the pain and make walking around the apartment a little easier. But after tossing and turning all night, I woke up Monday morning and knew I should see a doctor. His verdict: a stress fracture – something I had never even heard of before – caused by the “sudden increase” in my high-impact activity.

It’s now Wednesday night and, unfortunately, I think the doc’s verdict was accurate. There has been zero change in how I feel: I’m still sore, still limping and still having to ice my foot. The limping part doesn’t bug me, other than feeling like I look like a crazy person when I walk down the street… what I’m more upset about is the fact that the doc said it would probably take 4-6 weeks to heal. That means no more hiking. No more running. And no more half marathon training.

I’ll be honest and say I’m not heartbroken over the idea of not running a half this summer. The race is only 65 days away and I am nowhere near where I should be in my training, anyway. But that doesn’t mean I won’t miss going for short runs, for the next while. And I am definitely going to miss hiking. I guess it couldn’t have come at a better time (per se), since I’m only going to be in Vancouver for six more days throughout the rest of this month, anyway… but I don’t think anyone likes being injured.

Ahhh well. At least I got to see some of the views that I did, to get where I am.

Have you ever injured yourself from running or hiking? How long did it take for you to heal?