San Francisco: Day 4 of 5

City Lights Booksellers

*Note: I was in the middle of recapping my 5-day trip to San Francisco, before I was in this car accident. This week, I’d like to finish that series of posts and share what I did with my final two days.

On Saturday morning, I think I slept in until… 8:00 a.m.? If you know me, you know this is a big deal, lol. After plugging into the online world for an hour or so, I showered up and left for another day of exploration. I first bussed into the North Beach / Telegraph Hill area of the city, where I attempted to go for breakfast at Mama’s. However, when I saw a line that seemed to go down the block, I decided to cross the street and try Park Tavern instead.

Park Tavern San Francisco

Park Tavern is a relatively new restaurant (opened in 2011) and, situated next door to an Inn, was full of tourists. I was seated immediately and, after a quick look at the menu, decided to order the Crispy Polenta Cakes. Now, I can’t lie… it was pretty good. But the stomach ache that lasted all day afterwards was rough. What I found most fascinating about my dining experience, however, was the fact that the servers seemed to be waiting on me hand and foot. And then I realized: I’m alone and I’m writing in a journal. Maybe they think I’m a food critic or something!?

Ship in San Francisco

From there, I decided that Saturday would be the day I finally explored the Marina District. Before I had left for my trip, a couple different people told me it was a great area to walk around, shop, etc. So, in typical Cait fashion, I decided to get there on foot – even with blisters on my feet. And, of course, I took the extra long route along the water. Stupid, right? But it was kinda, sorta beautiful. After walking past Fisherman’s Wharf again, I went up and over Fort Mason and finally caught my first glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge. (Yes, that’s it there in the fog.)

View of the Golden Gate Bridge from Fort Mason

When I was at Fort Mason, I realized two things: 1) my phone was almost dead, and 2) it was almost time for me to meet Shannon again. I finally walked into the Marina District, found a Starbucks, curled up in a comfy chair and plugged my phone in for 45 minutes. (Solo travellers: keeping a cell phone charger in your bag is a must.) This was one of those moments where you realize how luxurious it can be to travel by yourself. Some people might have felt like sitting at a Starbucks was a waste of time, but I was grateful for both the iced coffee and the opportunity to put my feet up for a bit.

Sausalito California

Once my battery crossed the 75% charged mark, I decided to get up and head back out. And after going in and out of a number of stores (and purchasing only a few cards that I’m going to frame), I was happy when Shannon texted to say that she and her husband were on their way to meet me. On my first day at the ReadyForZero offices, Shannon mentioned that if I wanted to eat good ice cream and see the beach that I should head over to Sausalito. Fortunately, when I asked if she was free to join me, she said yes – and that’s what we did. (I forgot to take a picture of the ice cream, so you’ll have to take my word for it when I say that it was deeelicious.)

The three of us spent the afternoon walking up and down the very touristy strip of Sausalito, buying buckets full of taffy from Munchies (which I brought home with me – yum!), eating ice cream and doing some serious people watching. You know when you just click with people? I clicked with Shannon and her man. It’s so refreshing to hangout with people who are essentially total strangers and still have lengthy conversations with zero empty pauses and too many bursts of laughter. They drove me home after and, when I walked in the door, I realized it was nearly 8:00 p.m. And I was freaking exhausted… (Yes, that’s my way of saying I stayed in again. Stop judging me! lol)