This update is long overdue! I missed my 28, 30 and 32 week updates and now all of a sudden I am 33 weeks pregnant and a mere five weeks away from meeting our little girl. This is going to be a long one and probably not the most well written as my brain is feeling quite woolly so grab a cup of tea and be forgiving!

These last few weeks have been an enormous struggle. There has been so much on my mind, so much worry, fear and anxiety that has left me feeling like my head is spinning. It’s felt as though things have just piled up and I’ve not really been able to deal with each thing separately, rather they’ve merged together into this big bundle of horridness.

We are now less than a week away from Aneurin’s anniversary and birthday which is obviously proving to be very difficult. If I’m honest I’m struggling more than I thought I would with it and it feels like this enormous darkness on the horizon and it’s coming so quickly I don’t feel like we can get a proper grasp of it. We have things planned on both the day he died and his birthday which I’m glad of because it gives us space to grieve and to celebrate in a way that feels okay for us. I’m under no illusion though that even when we are celebrating and doing lovely things that we’re not going to be feeling broken and bereft too. But, as with the 364 days that came before, we will just take it an hour at a time and do whatever we need to to get through it.

Alongside that is obviously increasing anxiety as we approach the same gestation we lost him with Poglet. Not helped in the slightest by the fact that we’ve had two fearful hospitals visits in the last few weeks. Once for reduced movements and once with high blood pressure. The reduced movements was completely and utterly awful. It was like reliving what happened with Aneurin all over again and I was so scared to even utter the words to Mr D that I hadn’t felt her move for a couple of hours because I just couldn’t face going through it all again. Due it to being the evening all other units were closed so we had to go to the labour ward for monitoring which was the first time we had been back there since the day we left Aneurin. That in itself was incredibly traumatic, walking the same corridor petrified and shell-shocked. Fortunately we heard the beautiful, strong thump-thump of Poglet’s heartbeat within seconds and the relief was overwhelming. The staff were brilliant with us, so patient and understanding of our fear. They took such good care of us, not letting us leave until we felt reassured that she was moving and everything was okay. She took a couple of hours to start moving again but despite feeling calmer after she did and seeing that her heart rate was fine it was hard to shake the memory of events around Aneurin’s death, where we had gone in with reduced movements to be told everything was fine, went home and two days later he died. They were very understanding of this though and told us we could come back whenever we felt we needed that bit of reassurance. We were there during shift change and the second midwife we had was the midwife-in-charge when Aneurin was born. Despite not seeing her very much during that day she remembered us and him which was such a comfort. I cannot praise the staff on that ward enough, they really are fantastic.

A few days after that I had my first diabetic clinic appointment where we met our new consultant. We were a bit apprehensive about it as the one I had previously has been with us for both pregnancies. However, I needn’t have worried at all! She was wonderful. One of the first questions she asked us was “what did you name your son?” to which I told her and promptly burst into tears. I explained that it was the first time any healthcare professional has ever asked us that. Infact, the first time a doctor has even acknowledged him as our son over using cold, clinical words and phrases like “the stillbirth” or “your previous situation”. When I explained how anxious I was feeling at the minute she was very understanding and simply asked what she could do to help. We agreed that weekly monitoring from now until Poglet arrives will help and so far, it really is. Even though I know all it means is that in that moment she is fine, it gives me that bit of reassurance.

Weekly monitoring is definitely helping!

The high blood pressure came a couple of days ago and has only made my anxiety worse unfortunately. I had a high reading at my second diabetic clinic appointment so the registrar sent us for daycare (where baby is monitored, your BP is taken once every half an hour at least five times and a full blood count is taken). Despite it being in the middle of the day the fetal health unit where it’s normally done was full so once again our only option was the labour ward. When we heard the midwife say this to her colleague on the phone Mr D and I looked at eachother and our faces dropped. A place that normally holds fond memories of babies being born holds nothing but trauma, heartbreak and fear for us and it is so very difficult to be there. To make matters even worse we were put on a little ward with a newborn baby. I could literally feel my blood pressure rising when I saw the baby. The midwife could see something was wrong but didn’t understand why I was so upset. Newborn baby cries are an enormous trigger for me. I didn’t talk about that for a long time but once I did I realised it’s not an uncommon thing when you never got to hear your own baby cry. I think it’s a combination of the glaring absence of cries when Aneurin was born and the fact that for quite a while afterwards I used to wake up thinking I could hear a baby crying. Either way, I find the sound cuts through my soul and makes me want to peel my skin off. People don’t understand that though and make jokes about how I’ll have to get used to it when Poglet is here which is both hurtful and dismissive. I cannot wait to hear my daughter cry. It will be the most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard and I can hand-on-heart say it will be very, very different to hearing a baby cry who is not mine.

I spent the first 20 minutes in there sobbing on Mr D, both of us feeling so claustraphobic, so scared that something was about to go horribly wrong whilst dealing with a hundred other emotions. The doctor came round and explained what the plan was, that they were checking me for signs of pre-eclampsia because although the only sign I had was raised BP, given my history and the other risk factor of having gestational diabetes, they wanted to be extra cautious. She suggested I stay in for 24 hours to be monitored which again made me more anxious because I knew they would send Mr D home and the idea of being on my own was terrifying. However, the very clever midwife put me on the CTG monitor before she took my first BP reading and once I heard that magical sound, it dropped right down! Thankfully all my bloods came back completely normal. all my consequent BP readings were well within normal range, I had no protein in my urine and Poglet had a lovely time trying to escape the CTG monitor before accepting it wasn’t going anywhere and gave us a perfect reading! As there were no signs of pre-eclampsia at all the midwife was happy for us to discharge ourselves despite the doctor’s plan on the basis that she had suggested in with the fact that I had pre-eclampsia in mind. I was very apprehensive about doing so because I kept thinking if we got home and something went wrong I would never, ever forgive myself. We talked about it a lot though and decided that actually, everything came back fine, I had no symptoms and that that single high reading was probably down to a combination of the ridiculous heat and my general stress levels. We had a cardiac scan booked in for first thing the next morning (it was 9pm by this time) so I felt okay knowing that they could check my BP there and if it was even slightly up then I could go back to be monitored. I think if we hadn’t had that in place for the next day I wouldn’t have comfortable going home. As it was all we did was drive home, go to bed where I slept surprisingly well, get up and go straight to the scan where Poglet was again, cleared of any cardiac issues and my blood pressure was fine!

I’m incredibly grateful that despite these scares everything is absolutely fine. Sometimes I wonder if my body is reacting to the anxiety and refreshed grief or whether I’m making problems where there aren’t any but it’s not something I’m doing consciously and actually, I think for the most part I’m not doing too badly. Pregnancy after loss is really, really trying and I’m not sure people realise just how tough it is sometimes. It’s only when I talk to other mums who are going through it or have had their babies that I realise how normal my feelings actually are. I always knew that approaching 34 weeks would be difficult but I don’t think I quite anticipated how difficult it would be. If everything was going swimmingly it might be a little easier but with these little scares it makes the what ifs feel a little bit too real.

All I can do over the next five weeks is keep putting one foot infront of the other. I have incredible support around me and things like yoga and hypnobirthing are definitely helping control my anxiety to a degree. It’s still very hard to imagine actually bringing Poglet home safe and sound but I’m happy to say we are still managing to enjoy our time with her despite everything. She is such a precious gift and I’m so grateful to have this time to watch my bump grow and feel her move. I feel very lucky to have two children whether they’re in my arms or not, we have a beautiful little family and that is something to be celebrated.

29 : 31 : 33 week bumps

Phew, that was long! Well done if you managed to get through all of that, I promise I won’t leave it so long for the next one so there won’t be so much to talk about! I’m going to leave you on a good note with five positive things from the last few weeks.

A prize to whoever can see squishy cheeks and a little hand on her face!

1. Our 32 week growth scan! Poglet’s growth is consistent and she’s sitting just under the 90th percentile which is very similar to her big brother. I’m not worried about her being big at all, she’ll be whatever size she needs to be. It was lovely to see her kick around again and we got an incredible look at her delightfully chubby cheeks! The sonographer was lovely and printed a photo off for us which is now my favourite thing to look at.

2. We finally felt brave enough to order our Snuzpod. I must have gone to do it about 5 times in the last couple of weeks but never managed to hit the checkout button until a couple of days ago. Everything arrived so quickly and it’s now sitting in the nursery ready to put together when we get back from spending a few days at my mum’s.

3. I’ve been writing Aneurin’s birth story ready to publish on his 1st birthday next week. I always knew I wanted to do it but it’s taken a long time for me to finish. It’s emotional but feels like a really lovely thing to do especially for his birthday. I’m also toying with the idea of sharing a photo of him which I’ve never done before. I’m very apprehensive to do so but the more time that goes on the more I want to share him. If I do I’ll make it very clear beforehand so that if people don’t want to look (and I completely understand why) they don’t have to.

4. Spending last weekend with my mum after having not seen eachother for weeks. We normally see eachother once a week but she’s been having a really tough time lately and hasn’t been able to drive. I was quite happy to drive the 90 miles to her but in true mama-bear fashion, she didn’t want me to drive whilst heavily pregnant! It was so lovely to just sit on the sofa with her, talk and watch films. She had some precious Poglet time and felt her do her nightly rave which was wonderful to share with her.

5. My clever hairy husband got accepted into university to study Learning Disability Nursing! He’s been working with children and young adults with autism in an educational setting for the last ten years but he’s been needing a slight change of direction for a while. Everything that happened last year has made him see life a bit differently and it’s pushed him to make a change which I’m incredibly proud of him for because it’s a big step to take. It’s not going to be easy with a newborn baby and our sole income being swapped for student loans and bursaries but we’ll make it work and I know he is going to be fantastic at this.


Mrs D x

ps. After much umming and ahhing I’ve finally merged my plus size fashion blog with this one hence there suddenly being a lot more posts that go back to 2012!